Six Revisions have posted an artile looking at how to optimise your wordpress website to get more traffic from Google. If you have a wordpress website or want to know more about SEO and what is involved then the article is worth a read.
Here are the main points that the article makes.
1) Make sure that the titles are optimised. If your wordpress is putting the title of the site before the article title then you need to change that round. So that mysite – the article title, becomes, the article title – mysite.
2) Using meta descriptions. For this you need a plugin that allows you to wrtie your own meta descriptions.
3) Make sure your site uses permalinks. This means that the website is not using mysite.com/p=123 but something like, mysite.com/the-article-title. This can be done in the permalink section of wordpress.
4) Using breadcrumbs. This is not only for seo but also helpful for the readers as well. So an exmple maybe, mysite.com >category >pagetitle. Using this will allow users and search engines to find their way round your website easier.
5) Use sitemaps. You can submit your sitemaps to Google using the webmaster tools. If you use a plugin, then this can also help Google know when the latest post has been submited.
6) Describe your images. Using proper names for your image names and also good alt tags that describe the image.
7) Link to related posts. This not only helps with your seo but also helps readers see other posts that may interest them.
8 ) Use good keywords in the post headings. If you research your keywords and use them in the headings of your posts then that is a sure fire way to get them ranked better.
9) Avoid duplicate content. Using the correct htaccess file setup and also not adding duplicate content onto your wordpress site will avoid problems with the search robots.
To read more detail about these steps the full article is here: http://sixrevisions.com/wordpress/optimizing-wordpress-for-search-engines/